Tuesday 12 July 2011

No. 11 - Arubaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!


I’m going to keep this short and sweet today. I’m still recovering from Skippy’s Aussie Barbecue last night (I did this recipe last week by the way), so thinking about food, talking about food, writing about food, just about anything but actually eating food is the last thing on my mind. Skippy didn’t quite make it in time but you’ll hear all about it in due course. By the way I am particularly proud of the title of this blog entry!

Upon researching the cuisine of Aruba I was faced with the prospect of yet another stew (its all these Caribbean islands), so you can imagine my excitement. What I fancied was a proper curry, and with India still a long way away, I managed to find one on the website, visitarbuba.com (you can check if you don't believe me). A proper curry, maybe not, but at least it gave me the excuse to make one. The recipe called for goat, water, curry powder, an onion and little else. For fear of ending up with a chip shop curry with some goat floating in it (although not a stew, it wasn’t exactly what I had in mind), I added a couple extra spices and a tin of tomatoes to boot. The result was a tasty curry that hit the spot but I couldn’t claim that it’s an authentic Aruban dish and to be honest, I don’t really care. Sometimes you just need a curry.

Now back to my hangover.

Goat Curry

10 goat chops
1 clove of garlic, minced 

2 tomatoes, quartered 

2 onions, chopped 

1 tin of chopped tomatoes
3 scallions, chopped 

1 chili, chopped

3 tbsp curry powder.
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp turmeric

Throw everything except the tinned tomatoes in a bowl and marinade for a half hour. Take out the meat and fry it in a couple tablespoons of oil until browned. Then add the rest of the marinade ingredients, the tin of tomatoes. Fill up the empty tin with water and bung that in too. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 hours. Serve with yogurt, rice and naan bread. Perfectly Aruban.



1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to be around for this one - and it was just SO good!

    ReplyDelete