Sunday 13 November 2011

No. 31 - Burkina Faso Sleep!




Riz gras I can hardly remember, due to college related sleep deprivation, and cider induced, (lets call it) tipsiness. Not only did I have to worry about not poisoning myself but six others, including the guests of honor, Claire Gillan and Mark Conway (for some reason I feel full names are necessary here). And for their welcome home feast from lands far far away, they were presented with none other than the showstopper riz gras, a.k.a chicken and rice. A humble side dish maybe, but I simply did not have the cognitive skills to achieve anything more accomplished. Even still, I left out a vital ingredient and lost and my camera in the spices drawer.


I remember better, the next day having riz gras for breakfast, lunch and dinner asian style, dashed with soya and sweet chili sauce. The perfect hangover food. Trice.

Serves 6                                                                                     Rating: 5/10

6 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
500g rice
1 vegetable stock cube
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 hot chilies
1 onion, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
4tbsp tomato puree (I forgot this)
salt, pepper and oil for frying

The following is how I think it went.



Chop up the chilies, garlic, tomatoes and onion until very fine. Fry in a large pan for a few minutes. Add the chicken, a little water and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through.


Stir in the tomato puree and stock cube. Add the rice, one litre of recently boiled water and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.

Serve immediately with finely sliced red onion.



No comments:

Post a Comment