Wednesday 29 August 2012

No. 40 - Chile and Easter Islands – Curanto - I'm a Chilian Whiner


Normally I would suggest that for a recipe like Curanto, vegetarians should look away, but this time a thief has saved them bother, as the photographs were stolen along with my iphone. Here is where I feel an uncontrollable urge to whine about what is essentially an incredibly first world problem. So I won't. I know that those of you who have or have already lost one understand and feel my pain. Those of you who don’t, rightly so, don’t give a shit.  



Whoever stole my phone, I’m sending you a great big Culinisation FUCK YOU!



Curanto                                                                                                                         8/10

Curanto is shellfish layered with meat layered with more meat and then more meat and then shellfish.  Traditionally clams would be used but they’re so expensive I opted for mussels instead. Basically you can use whatever meat and shellfish you like or have hanging around. Essentially this is a classic stew, with the added benefit of having ample juice from the shellfish and consisting almost entirely of meat. Throwing in half bottle of wine doesn’t hurt either. Neither does the remaining half.

Serves 4

1 red pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 kilo of mussels
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 large smoked garlic sausage, sliced into chunks
2 rashers, chopped
4 chicken thighs
a few new potatoes, halfed
half a bottle of white wine

In a large pot, fry the onions, garlic and chopped pepper in a little oil until soft. Then proceed to layer the smoked sausage, chicken, chopped rashers, potatoes and finally the mussels. Pour over the wine. Cover, bring to a simmer and leave to cook for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes and meat are cooked. Eat with warm bread and lashings of butter.

Note: Normally I would never recommend cooking mussels for 45 minutes and I was reluctant to do so here, but I did and they tasted delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment