Monday 13 June 2011

No. 3 - Algerian Criterion!

Algerian Beef Tagine

This is a really good dinner – it’s stew, only better - warmer and more comforting because of all the spices. I luckily have a tagine from morocco but any pot with a tight lid will do. There’s feck all ingredients and you just bung them all in, so there’s no excuse. I threw in some green beans just because I fancied some crunch but they're optional. Traditionally you would eat this with cous cous or flatbread (I had mine with flatbread) but it would be savage with mash too. I’m bloody raging I didn’t get a recipe from Dee on this one!

Serves 2 – 3
500g diced stewing beef
1 red onion, chopped
A few cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of cumin
½ tbsp ground coriander
½ tbsp ground tumeric
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt and Pepper.



Fry up the spices and garlic in a little olive oil. Add the onion and the beef and cook until slightly browned. Throw in the tin of tomatoes, cover well and let it all simmer to its heart content for a couple of hours until the meat is tender and delicious. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t dry out. That’s it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment