Tuesday 16 August 2011

No. 22 - Could Have Benin Another Country!


My ever-supportive boyfriend groaned (again), when he learned that we were having stew (again). When he heard coconut, he winced, then at the mention of peanut butter, he had a good rummage through the fridge. He was thinking more along the lines of steak with a mushroom and red wine sauce and a few spuds - his supposed specialty. Steak however, is a distant memory from the days before Culinisation ruled our culinary world. (Instead we’re spending four euro on a yucca, but that’s tomorrows story.) So yes, in name, it was a boring Beninese beef stew. In reality it was a whole lot different. A creamy coconut, peanut and spicy beef tagine slash curry, if you don’t mind. The best way to describe it? A cross between beef satay and Thai curry. In central Africa? Am I missing something here?


Oh. But. It. Was. Yum.

Creamy, peanuty, spicy and oh so filling - this was one of the better, more indulgent Culinisations, and it definitely won Luke over. Not that I ever had any doubts. Nor did he have a choice. For all intents and purposes, however, I have renamed this dish, because whoever translated from Benin French to English did a woeful job. I call it, Creamy Coconut, Peanut and Beef Benin Curry Tagine. It just sort of rolls off the tongue.

Note: I left my camera charger in Sligo (I hope), so I have been very stingy on the photos because I need the battery to last all week. 


Creamy Coconut, Peanut and Beef Benin Curry Tagine.

So it’s a bit Chinese, a bit Thai, a bit Indian and a bit African I guess (although call me ignorant, but African least I would say). Benin, it seems, is having a major identity crisis and to top it all off, I decided to serve this Benin dish with a side of broccoli. Not meaning to bring another country into it, but when in Rome.


Serves 2 with leftovers

1 potato, peeled and cut into cubes
400g beef, cut into chunks
a little oil for frying
2 onions, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp of curry powder (African if you can get it, I couldn’t)
cayenne pepper to taste, a tsp or so
1 tbsp flour
salt to taste
3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
half a tin of coconut milk
splash of water, to loosen
1 red chilli, whole

Rice and/or naan to serve

Heat up the oil in any pan, pot or tagine that has a tight fitting lid. Brown off the meat and set aside. In the remaining juices, fry the onions and garlic until softened. Add the flour, cayenne, curry powder, peanut butter and salt. Heat for a minute and then pour in the coconut milk. Loosen with half a cup or so of water and return the meat to the pan along with a whole red chilli. Simmer until the beef is tender. This may take up to 2 hours depending on the cut of beef. Stir regularly to ensure that it doesn’t stick.


While the “stew” is simmering away, cook the potatoes in some salted water and allow to cool. Once cooled, fry on all sides in a little olive oil until crispy. Stir the potatoes into the “stew” twenty minutes before end of cooking time.


Serve with rice and/or bread (and some broccoli, if like us (me), you want your five a day).






No comments:

Post a Comment